In scripture, Saint Paul states there are many forms of ministry, and kinds of service. It is up to each of us to discover our God-given talents and abilities.
Ministry of Scripture Reader (Lector)
We prepare for Mass using "Workbook for Lectors and Gospel Readers", known as "the workbook".
The Scriptures for Practice section is from the New American Bible for use here in the United States. The side columns contain Helpful and Practical Commentaries. The Pronunciation Guide is also very helpful.
The workbook is published by Liturgy Training Publications of Chicago, Illinois.
Helpful resources are available at the scripture Reader page.
"What is the Lectionary for Mass?" is explained on the Lectionary page.
Religious Education - Coordinator
After almost 5 years of service as coordinator, I have "retired" because of other duties. Here is the job description for this volunteer position.
Religious Education Coordinator
To oversee efforts to realize the goals of religious education of youth within the parish and to serve as liaison with the parish
staff and catechists, youth and parents. Work toward the development and realization of goals for the entire parish.
* To develop and coordinate the faith sharing experience for the youth (including those with special needs) through the elements of catechesis.
* To promote and support a parish catechetical attitude and focus.
* To develop and coordinate the children's faith sharing experience through prayer.
* To foster parent and family participation in faith sharing experiences with children.
* To develop and coordinate opportunities for children to minister to others through service.
* Formally evaluate with the education committee, the curriculum scope, sequence, text, supplementation and
effectiveness every five years.
* Informally, with committee members, teachers, parents, and students, evaluate and recommend improvements yearly.
* Design and coordinate the catechetical program for grades K though 10.
* Provide a para-liturgical prayer time as part of weekly class experience (to include formal and spontaneous prayer).
* Provide a family prayer experience (youth mass) each semester.
* Encourage informal daily prayer.
Note that the following pages are dated from 2002.
Catechist / Teacher Resources
Helpful for faith enrichment and spiritual growth
Updated: February 14, 2011